Thursday, September 13, 2007

Getting Active With The Kids

The blogblast this week from The Parent Bloggers Network is how do you get up and moving with the kids? At first I didn't think I really had anything to offer as I'm not as active as I should be, except for going up and down the stairs a few dozen times a day with or without a 50 pound laundry basket full of clothes. Then it dawned on me our weekly walks races to the convenience store.

Just about once or twice a week the oldest son and I take an evening jaunt to the convenience store for our weekly gamble on the lottery. The store is about a quarter of a mile from the house. Not to far but close enough to give us a destination for a walk. When we round the corner from our house to the main street there's a stretch of empty parking lot that Gameboy and I race each other on foot. Some days I'll let him win if I'm not feeling to energetic. Other times I try to beat him with full force. He's always up for a rematch no matter who wins. This little race gives me just enough boost for my heart without to much exertion. We then get our purchase race back to the other side and walk the rest of the way home.

When he first started asking me to race him I had the typical mom mindset. No that's dangerous or it may have just been my subconsciousness of other people seeing me run, which probably looks like a featherless chicken flailing everywhere. I finally gave in to my competitive spirit and glad I did.

That my friends is my weekly workout session with my kid. We enjoy it and it really does a heart good. Join The Parent Bloggers Network and Ryka who is giving away not only some awesome shoes but an outfit to go with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're taking great steps in the right direction! (Pardon the pun!)

Stats

Blog Archive