Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Letter To Bossy Boy -

Dear Bossy Boy,

I realize that in your little mind you believe that your 4 going on 9. Your goal in life is to catch up with GB in his own marathon of life instead of just keeping pace in your own.
You should understand that life is not a sprint but merely a jog. There's no hurry to try to catch up with everyone else. If you do try to hurry you'll merely lose and miss out on your own finish line.
I understand you have no idea what I mean and I'll try to simplify.
You are not expected to like everything that big brother likes and you are certainly not expected to be exactly like your big brother. Maybe we made the miskake of telling you to often that you are your big brother's mini-me. You look like him and act like him in so many ways.
GB adores the idea that he sets and rises your sun. He's not to keen on the fact that you hang out in his room when he's gone playing with his Axis and Allies and messing up his men, but he does like the idol factor he holds in your eyes.

The thing is, you are your own person. Your not GB and never will be. It's totally and completely ok that you actually like Diego and GB hates it. I know that it was a hard decison to choose it over Scooby. I just want to say that I'm proud of you for making your own choice and going against what big brother would like.
I think you actually understood that some things really are for bigger kids like Star Wars. I know you love the show simply for the light sabres and killing, what boy doesn't? Sigh. Yet there is more to that series than just that and it's beyond your understanding. Diego though, was totally made with little boys at the age of 4 in mind.
I admit since you have chosen wisely for your specific age group on a DVD, you have now watched it 717 times this week. I'm ok with that. I know this little age appropriate selection thing won't last long and you'll be back on to the next big thing GB is. I just hope you'll understand there's no big hurry to be 9. Besides GB will tell you it's not all it's cracked up to be. There's that whole long division thing that makes every 9 year old wishing he were 4 again.

Love,
Mom

P.S. If you don't want to turn 5 in June and then soon after go to kindergarten, that's totally cool with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet letter - why do kids have to go and grow up on us? :)

The Mom said...

I have 3 boys, and the oldest tolerates the middle. Well, tolerates is overrated...he "lets" him live in the house. It is so frustrating because I remember when they would all play together so well. I hope they will have a good relationship when they are grown up!

Stats

Blog Archive