Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy 30th!

"Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold."
The old girl scouts song. This song rings true for my dearest and oldest friend. I don't mean that she's my oldest friend but that shes a long forever and a day friend. I think we've been friends on and off 15 years maybe more. My head explodes trying to think of the numbers. Anyway were friends and have been for a long time.

Today she turns the big milestone 30! I used to share many a birthday of hers with her and her family. I was pretty much the 4th sister. We were next door neighbors but really just slept at our own houses. We were usually always together, it was very rare we weren't together. We completely wore down a path from her house to mine and could pretty much walk that path with our eyes closed even with trees and rose bushes in the way.

Her family didn't have the traditional kids birthday party with games and other children running around. Their birthday's consisted of pretty much just the family with the birthday girls preferred cake of choice; usually being red velvet or a broken glass cake famously made by her aunt and burgers on the grill by her dad. There was usually a great shopping spree with all the girls (including me of course), grandma, and Aunt S. They would literally shop til I could drop, hitting every mall in the metro area. I loved those birthdays just for the simple traditions and family whom I claimed as mine in my own way.

Last year I happened to be in town when she was in town and was able to make the trek to her parents house pretty much following the same way we used to. This time I had my boys in tow and anxious to see her precious little baby girl after her christening. The family was gathered around just like old times. The grandmas and aunts were all there and the tradition remained alive for the next generation. I felt as if it was a small family reunion my own little family reunion. They welcomed me back as if I had never really left.

I wish I could be there for her 30th, but she knows I will be thinking of her and her family and that delicious red velvet cake.

No comments:

Stats

Blog Archive