Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Meme

Deb at Momof3girls tagged me for this Meme err uh Holiday Hoopla thingy. Here's the rules.



1. List 12 random things about yourself that have to do with Christmas.
2. Please refer to it as a 'hoopla' and not the dreaded 'm'-word
3. You have to specifically tag people when you're done. None of this "if you're reading this, consider yourself tagged" stuff is allowed...then nobody ends up actually doing it. The number of people who you tag is really up to you -- but the more, the merrier to get this 'hoopla' circulating through the blogosphere.
4. Please try and do it as quickly as possible. The Christmas season will be over before we know it and I'd like to get as many people involved as possible.
5. If you want to -- please give me, Andrea, some link-love as the 'Hoopla-Creator'. I love new blog-traffic.
Yikes - twelve things? I'll see what I can think of... Here goes:



1. I am the official Christmas snooper. I love to get things, and I also love the challenge of finding them or finding out what the surprise is. Hubs knows not to buy anything days in advance of any event Christmas/Birthday. I know I snooped and found most every present for several years growing up. I also could win an academy award for my acting skills.



2. Growing up we always attended midnight mass. There was none of this 6'o clock service stuff.



3. Christmas Eve was always spent at my grandma's house on my dads side. Most of my cousins who were boys were all much older than me so when I came into the picture, I was spoiled rotten by my aunts with all kinds of great presents.



4. My mother has had the same fake Christmas tree for probably way over 30 years now. I'm positive she had that tree before I was born.



5. The big debate in the house of workingmomma247 for the past 8 years has been whether Santa wraps or does not wrap the presents. Santa never wrapped my presents growing up. The gifts from my parents were wrapped. I guess C's Santa had way more time on his her hands and wrapped every single present. Every year C and I go through the same argument, some years I win, some I don't. Guess who has to wrap those presents when I lose?



6. C's mom comes down every year for Christmas. I've mentioned before that it's our big tradition to do a marathon shopping spree for last minute gifts for the boys. As if they don't already get enough from what she's already gotten. I love actually getting to shop with someone with a little more estrogen than what's around my house. Plus she spoils me rotten too. :)



7. When C and I first were married and had Gameboy we didn't even bother with a tree. We didn't have much in the decorating budget at the time. C's mom alleviated that the following year when Wonderboy was born, by getting us a tree and on our marathon shopping spree we bought a bunch of clearance priced decor and got the last Christmas angel in the store. She probably wouldn't have been my first choice as she was an angel of color ( not that there's anything wrong with that...I'm just saying) I got her anyway and I love it and wouldn't want her any other way as it was bought for us out of love.



8. C and I's first Christmas together my mother bought dog bones for our beloved dog Wisdom. Somehow out of curiosity and a dare I tried a dog bone just to see how it tasted. No I wasn't drunk on egg nog. I just felt like spontaneously trying it. My mother took a picture of me with the bone in my mouth. ( Can you tell I'm digging really deep here for more random Christmas stuff?).



9. Bossyboy who is 3 calls candy canes "handy canes". He really has no major interest in this Santa guy, and my threats of no toys for bad boys goes over like a lead balloon. We took the boys to see the musical lights that you see on YouTube. One house had one of those big blow up snowmen. He had a fit as he was scared to death of the snowman. Needless to say we won't be forcing him to see Santa this year.



10. I remember one Christmas I was asked to take care of my neighbor's dog while they were out of town. It happened to snow and ice Christmas day. My parents happen to live on a fairly decent sized hill. Getting down the hill to the house was no problem, it was the getting back up part that fared difficult. I was just in the lawn trying to get up the hill and kept sliding, and sliding and sliding back down. There was nothing whatsoever to grab on to. I think it took me a good 30 minutes to get back up the hill. I was in tears and thought I was going to freeze to death on Christmas day and be stranded at my neighbor's house forever. When I finally did make it up the hill, I sobbed to my mother as to why she didn't come looking for me after so long. She just thought I had decided to take the neighbors dog out for a walk.



11. The first year I went to C's dad's for Christmas we decided to see a movie. This was never heard of in my little part of the world. A movie on Christmas day whoda thought?!



12. This year was the earliest I put my tree up, I think in all my 30 years. My mother never put up the tree until the 2nd weekend of December. She had this thing against people who put theirs up the day after Thanksgiving. I'm really not sure why.



I'm sure that's way more information than you ever wanted to know about my Christmas doings. Psst you in the back..yeah you, you can wake up now, the shows over.

No comments:

Stats

Blog Archive